Those of us who suffer from a mood disorder know that this is a serious illness. Depression can rob us of our relationships, work, career, passions and most importantly our joy for living. Likewise, therapy, used to treat our depression is serious hard work. Our mental health and wellness is critical for us and for our family and friends. Yet in all this seriousness I think it is important that we sometimes take a step back and appreciate the humor in all this. Yes humor. Laughter can sometimes save us in our darkest moments. In fact some say that laughter can be the best medicine. In this post I tried to find the most offbeat, humorous, and absurd quotes, jokes, and sayings about mental health. Enjoy!
1. “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.” ― William Gibson
2. I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous – everyone hasn’t met me yet.
3. Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Philip K. Dick
4. I can sympathize with people’s pains but not with their pleasures. There is something curiously boring about somebody else’s happiness.
5. I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.
6. “I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
Edgar Allen Poe
7. Reality is something you rise above.
8. When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.